To get around both the problem posed by the D3-2 drive and to avoid swapping discs I’ve picked up one of the first of the new WODE devices.
The Wode replaces the stand on the bottom of the Wii and connects between the DVD drive and the Motherboard allowing a USB hard disk to be attached.
- Play Wii & GC game ISOs direct from USB Mass Storage devices @8X read speed (HDD and FLASH drive)
- Complete Solder free install solution
- Easy to use GUI – LCD & Joystick – NO homebrew software required (no any update of console SO can block this device)
- Region hack (except with 4.2 firmware), Update blocker, Autoboot.
- Passthrough with FLAT-MOD mode built-in, play your DVD-R Wii & GC backups and Imports @3X read speed
- Powerful ARM9 MCU
- Totally Flexible Linux Kernel
- USB hub support for multiple USB devices connection
- Great File System support – use existing WBFS formatted media or ‘drag and drop’ ISOs to existing USB devices
More info to follow once I install it.
The supplier was OzModChips.
Nintendo have released a new drive in the latest Wii’s that currently cannot be cracked. The options are replace the drive or use an alternative method of loading games such as SD card (offered by the WiiKey Fusion) however this can be expensive considering the cost of SD cards.
EDIT: There is another alternative now which is the WODE (Wii Optical Drive Emulator) which emulates the optical drive and unlike hard or soft mods can never be detected.
There are two suppliers in Australia of the different mod chips modsupplier.com and OzModChips.com
The WiiKey Fusion Wii Mod Chip can be found here
Modsupplier @ AUD$72.50
The DriveKey Wii Mod Chip can be found here along with info on the new dvd drive
Modsupplier @ AUD$59.50
General info on modchips can be found on Wikipedia here – List of Wii drivechips
The Wiikey Manufacturer website has plenty of information – Wiikey