Google has announced a Nexus One Software Update to be rolled out to all handsets over the next week, if you can’t wait follow the instructions below.
Starting today, Nexus One users will begin to receive an over-the-air software update on their phones. This update provides some great new features, and fixes a few problems that some users might have experienced, including:
Google Goggles: this mobile application will now be available directly on your device by launching it from your All Apps menu. Just use your Nexus One camera to start searching the web
Google Maps: the Maps application with be updated to a new version, Google Maps 3.4, which will include:
- Starred items synchronized with maps.google.com – access your favorite places from your phone or computer
- Search suggestions from your personal maps.google.com history – makes it easy to search for places you’ve searched for before
- Night mode in Google Maps Navigation – automatically changes your screen at night for easier viewing and driving
Pinch-to-zoom functionality: devices will now include a new pinch-to-zoom mechanism in the phone’s Browser, Gallery and Maps applications
3G connectivity: we will provide a general fix to help improve 3G connectivity on some Nexus One phones
In order to access the update, you will receive a message on your phone’s notification bar. Just download the update, wait for it to install, and you should be all set. This update will be rolled out gradually to phones – and most users might not receive the notification until the end of the week. We hope you enjoy these new features and look forward to your feedback.
Performing the Upgrade
- Make sure the battery is charged.
- Download the update from here.
- Mount the SD card on your PC.
- Rename the file to update.zip and copy to the root directory of the SD card as shown.
- Turn the phone off.
- Boot into the boot loader by turning the phone on by holding down the volume down button and pressing the power button for a few seconds before releasing both.
- Use the volume up and down buttons to select recovery and press the power button.
- The phone enters recovery mode.
- Hold the volume up button and press the power button and release both to enable the system recovery menu.
- Use the trackball to select “apply sdcard:update.zip” and press the trackball down to select.
- The update will start applying the status can be seen on the screen.
- When the update is compelte it will ask you to “reboot via menu” and using the trackball press down to select “reboot system now”.
- The radio will now be written before the reboots occur.
- The system will reboot twice, don’t touch anything just wait for it to completed.
- The normal startup screen will soon appear and the phone will soon be back to normal but with multitouch enabled and other enhancements.